Tuesday, April 8, 2008

School taxesss

A little delayed but, for my community issue piece, I decided to write about school taxes that the residents of Levittown must pay. When I did my listening post, I addressed the question of what issues there were in Levittown. Several people responded that the School taxes in Levittown are extremely high.

When I did my interviews I was not really surprised by the kinds of responses I got, depending on the different age groups. People who have children in the public school system agreed that yes, the taxes were expensive but that they didn't mind paying them because it provided their children with several after school programs as well as new textbooks etc. The expected responses from children in high school was that they wanted the school tax in place so that they could continue with their after school activities. Older residents of the town did NOT like the school taxes. They saw it as unfair to them because they no longer had children in the public school system, which seems reasonable.

It was really interesting though to see how those that were against the school taxes felt. Because I played softball and volleyball in high school, I was always pushing for the school budget vote to pass so I could keep playing sports. Doing this story really opened my eyes to those that struggle financially, and just see the school tax as another burden that doesn't apply to them

No comments: