Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Race/Politcal Issue: Obama's Speech

I thought it was going to be difficult. I thought nobody would open up and discuss race on Fulton Street. People were too busy with their lives to care about race, but I was sure wrong. I arrived Downtown Brooklyn to see the usual crowds of people walking the street. I didn't know where to start, so I started where I was familiar, Hot Dog King. After two hot dogs, I got to work. I wanted to ask a variety of people. not only Blacks, about race issues. Some people rejected me, others I didn't even get a chance to speak and I was turned away. At a point, I was feeling hopeless. I wanted to capture the race dialogue, while still being bias and widespread at the same time, so capturing different voices was my goal. After realizing that talking to random people wasn't going to work, I started to go on each corner and find a person of a different ethnicity to talk. Suddenly, people became open. They shared their feelings about Obama, Hillary, the election, race, class, viewpoints, etc. One person I spoke with, Tony Morales, started opening up to me about how race has affected him throughout the years and how his vending stand is the only way he supports his family in Brooklyn. We sat there for about a half an hour, talking about race and what is going on in the election. It was good to put down the pad and just discuss race with a stranger. All it seems like is people need some incentive to speak about race, probably because the issue isn't brought up often. Otherwise, this has been the easiest story to report on thusfar.

No comments: