Thursday, April 3, 2008

RENT.

It didn't take me a long time to pick an issue but when I started writing my story I realized that some of my quotes were getting away from the issue (rent increasing) and moving more towards a transition issue. I had to constantly ask myself what I was writing about in order to keep my story flowing. Interviews were fairly easy, people wanted to talk about this topic. The rent issue is one I hear so much about everytime I go back home so I knew people would have things to talk about. It wasn't too difficult to finish the story but I had a very hard time thinking of story ideas, I think the ones I came up with are boring and predictable. I enjoyed hearing people's stories and there opinions about this issue. I definitely saw how comfortable people felt talking about it but I didnt get anyone to give me exact amounts of how much their rent is or how much it has increased. This story allowed to realize how much Hispanics view Inwood as "their" neighborhood and how bad they do not want to leave for ANY reason.

No comments: