Thursday, April 3, 2008

Dangers in Po Town

My experience with this article was interesting. I had no idea what I wanted to write about or what was really a pressing social issue. I figured I should go there and find out, so I headed to the YMCA in hopes of talking to parents and residents. I TOTALLY picked the wrong time--saturday at like 3 means the YMCA is dead. I did manage to talk to one mom and another guy who totally wasn't helpful at all. All he would say is, "I don't know, I'm just here to watch my kid skateboard." The woman luckily gave me some good information about safety and crime--she even talked about missing children where apparently worries her a lot. I decided to roll with this topic and headed to Main Street. I wandered around clueless, went into the Muddy Cup and interviewed some workers, then I continued to walk up and down the street. After this I decided to head to route 9 to see what the commercial part of poughkeepsie had to say about crime downtown. I talked to an employee at Rainbow and called it a day. Then I managed to get an interview with a friend of a friend who goes to Marist. Overall this article wasn't too exciting for me, people didn't really get too opinionated or give me juicy quotes. I sort of had to make do with what I had and tried to put together something half decent. Next time I think I need to find a different place to interview, one where I know lots of people will be and a place that draws all types of people in.

No comments: