Thursday, May 1, 2008
Free For All...
I decided to do the Sean Bell case for my free article because Poughkeepsie is pretty close to the city, close enough for residents to feel the affects of things that happen there. I was pleasantly surprised when I did interviews because I wondered if some people would know about the shooting at all. Most people did and had an opinon on the subject. I landed some good interviews and got a sense of what the residents of Poughkeepsie thought about it, especially in relation to the issue of race and police corruption. I thought it was also interesting to cover this after going on a ride-along, because it was examples of two sides of the story. While I don't know what the New Paltz (or Poughkeepsie) police think of this case, it just stresses the fact that in journalism getting both sides (when you can) is most important. I was also glad I covered this story because it made me do some research and learn more about the shooting and that of others like Bell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment