Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Education/Youth Story

My education/youth piece was really tricky for me. I found out from a friend about the Poughkeepsie Children’s Home and decided to write something on it, but after not being able to get interviews with any children there I was really stumped. After doing an interview with the Student Coordinator, I decided to focus on how the students who are from abused and negligent homes give back to the community that has provided them with a structured environment and inlet for school and extracurricular activities. I learned more about where they volunteered and the kinds of activities they did and found a few people who had done volunteering and sports with the children. I don’t feel like this story was my best, I was sort of in a crunch and realized that I had to stick with the topic I had, so I wound up with a story that is kind of boring and not totally news-worthy, but I like to think that I at least shed some light on the home, which not many people know about.

No comments: