Thursday, April 24, 2008
Fast Times at Kingston High
I went around Kingston asking people about education at the high school. I knew that there would be a variety of opinions about the school system, but...let's just say that I was shocked. All of the poeple that I talked to feel that the school hasn't improved or gotten better and even one resident responded, "...better that what?" One student is a senior and I sensed that he could say whatever he wanted about the school because he was graduating in June and couldn't really get in trouble. Another young person has friends who go there and she feels that education could be better, but no one is doing anything to help the students excel and move on to college. One of the things that was brought to my attention was the response that the teachers didn't care, and being a young person in this world today, not caring can and will have a big impact a person's future. Many of my interviewees agree that there are those who break the stereotype of not caring about their future and do all they can to get themselves ready for the world. If it's not the teachers, grading system or administration, parents are always concerned about the crowds that their children hang with. There's peer pressure to skip class and do other things. I was not aware that Kingston High has the highest dropout rate currently, but I do know that that's definitely the next story idea that I will be working on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment