I decided to focus on rent increases over the years and how this has affected middle class families in my neighborhood. I knew that this would be an easy issue for people to talk about because people who rent apartments in New York City are always angered when their monthly rent rate increases. I spoke to many renters in my apartment building and in surrounding apartment buildings about this issue. They were very willing to talk about it and almost everyone complained about the prices that they pay to rent apartments.
I also found out some surprising things when I was talking to people. In the apartment buildings in my neighborhood at least, the landlords can charge a greater rent to tenants if they live on a high floor in their building or have a nice view of the neighborhood from their window. Another surprising thing that I found out was that many landlords in my neighborhood are no longer offering apartments for rent to people who want to move into them. People can now only buy an apartment if they want to move into the buildings. This will definitely not have a good effect on my neighborhood because middle class families who want to move into the buildings will likely not be able to.
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment