Thursday, March 6, 2008
New to Historical Reminders
My original idea was to cover the original site of Kingston Academy on the corner of Crown and John Street in the Stockade area. Before I received the story of the burning of Kingston, the plaques read that site moved to the Academy Green and was eventually closed out by the new (and current) Kingston High school in 1915. The Board of Trustees has been running since 1795. The site is now used as a Mexican Restaurant and WGHQ 92 for NBC radio. Everything I learned about the old Kingston Academy was fascinating, but my gears started to shift towards the entire Stockade Historic District as well. I came across the house in which George Clinton was living while governor of Kingston, the Tappen House, and I came across the most popular tourist attraction, the Senate House at the corner of North Front and Clinton Streets. In fact, one of the Kingston business owners said that Clinton is at the Old Dutch Church Cemetery not too far from the Tappen house. Walking around the main strip of the Stockade on Wall Street and North Front Street was kind of cool. You can't help but stop and examine the architecture of the buildings. The social climate area consisted of busy workers and other people munching on either hot dogs of muffins at the cafe. The cool thing is that there are other districts with more history and reminders of how flourishing Kingston used to be. The story was both fascinating and frustrating because I just wanted to get every single piece of the historic scene. It was kind of frustrating also because it was evident that some factor was causing the area to become run down. It's unknown whether the place would either become desolate or if some wealthy mogul would indefinitely rid any ounce of significant history and turn the area into a bunch of motels, casinos, and condominiums. Like I said, a thought like that i s nerve-wrecking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment