I covered the famous Cyclone roller coaster for the landmark assignment. The Cyclone is so well known that I thought it would be a great landmark to write about. It is only two blocks from my house and I have been on it many times over the years. My familiarity with it definitely helped me with this assignment. I first decided to walk the two blocks to the Cyclone to carefully study and examine it. I made note of the different characteristics of its structure, as well as the surrounding scenery.
The Cyclone is closed during the winter, so there were virtually no people near it to talk to. I decided to walk around Coney Island and stop random people to ask them some questions about the roller coaster. Most of the people I stopped were willing to talk to me, but some provided brief, terribly constructed answers that would not be published in any newspaper. Some people that actually provided good, solid quotes and opinions were unwilling to give me their phone number or email address because they wanted to keep that information confidential. Despite these difficulties, I was able to talk to enough people who provided valuable quotes and gave me their phone numbers. I feel that I got enough quotes and opinions from people to write a solid, well organized article.
I enjoyed my time in the presence of this great landmark and speaking to people around Coney Island. I hope to have the time to ride the Cyclone at least once this summer because I have not been on it in a few years. I'm starting to forget what it feels like to ride one of the most famous roller coasters in the world.
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh man I really wanted to go on the Cyclone during the Village Voice Siren festival, but I was way to tired and it was way too crowded. I'm glad they're not knocking that down with the rest of the amusement parks!
Post a Comment