Junior's. Anyone from Brooklyn can tell you one thing about Junior's... cheesecake. That's the staple to Junior's restuarant in Brooklyn; the original Junior's restuarant I may add. It is truly one of the jems on Brooklyn still standing among all that is chnaging in Downtown. I've been to Junior's so much times, but this time was different. I actually felt discouraged at first because there has been plenty of articles written about Junior's, I didn't feel how my story could be any more significant or different. Nonetheless I went with a clear head, knowing that somewhere down the line, some good cheesecake would come out of it.
Tragically, when I got there, the complete opposite occurred. It was easier to talk to the workers there because, for an article like this, they would be plugging themselves and Junior's as an establishment. I got good quotes from all of them, but when it came to talking to customers, it was safe to say they didn't want to be bothered. This was the worst feeling I had ever experieced since reporting in the street. First, customers were relectant to give their names, much less talk to me (I bet if I had a "Daily News" pin, everyone would have swarmed at me). Second, it was a busy environment, so everyone was in and out; not much room to speak to anyone. Third, nobody was comfortable with giving out their information. This was safe to say, seeing that I am a complete stranger asking questions for a school assignment that nobody has heard of. Beside the fact of being rejected, they were so cold. I started hating everyone for not cooperating with me. Even when I explained that it was a school project, nobody was comfortable with giving me their numbers. The only way I seemed to get customers talk, while being nice, was when I became "Mr. Doorman" for everyone, opening doors for everyone, in which [some] people said "thank you."
Depressed, I ate a plain piece of cheesecake. It was really good, don't get me wrong, but in my mood, it wasn't the same. I tried talking to more people, but to no avail. Finally, I decided a different approach to asking questions would be for me to tell people in advance that I would be asking for their information. With that technique, people knew what to expect and for me there would be no disappointment. I managed to get at least seven sources, which isn't bad for the rate I was going.
It was the best story; it was the worst story. As a journalist, I now see that people aren't as open as you think they are and that nobody is always willing to give out their information. Sometimes, switching up the style of interviewing is necessary. In the end, I'm just glad to see that, unlike people's attitudes, the cheesecake was sweet and Junior's will be here to stay.
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment