Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bruderhof

I got a ride out to Rifton from my buddy Evan - and entered the Bruderhof up the long winding driveway. Tim was waiting for me - and we began to walk along the beautiful pathways of Woodcrest. The Bruderhof is a small community populated by roughly 300 people of all ages, who have decided to live their lives communally under a religious following. For me, the community was not too foreign Tim had invited me for dinner last April, so I knew the lay of the land somewhat. But I had forgotten the beauty of Woodcrest, the remarkable views of the Catskill mountains. For the most part - walking around, the community was pretty quiet, it being Sunday evening and many gathering for dinner. So me and Tim went into a small social room and chatted for about an hour. Though I did not really get to talk with many people, it was great to just be there and have someone with me who was so well acquainted with the community. I'm planning on spending this Saturday out at the Bruderhof, working in their factory and farm and learning and immersing myself int heir community.

No comments: