Francisca:
So, it was Super Tuesday in New York. Two major events were happening…the primary elections and of course, the NY Giants parade celebrating their amazing win. While the weather wasn’t cooperating, it was after all foggy and rainy; there was a sense of excitement in the air. My location to cover was the SUNY New Paltz campus. I decided to interview some people early on in the day and others toward the afternoon. I didn’t have much trouble interviewing people because even for those who decided not to vote, they had something to say about the elections. There was someone that I interviewed that said something along the lines that she didn’t care about the elections because she didn’t understand it. While I understand that politics doesn’t sound as exciting and sensational as other subjects, I wonder if it’s more that she just doesn’t take the time or make an effort to get to know the issues. I mean, I am no expert in politics but I have a decent amount of understanding about what is going on and it helps. I am, however, not judging anyone. Having said that, many of those that I approached had actually forgotten that it was Super Tuesday! I had many people say to me, “Oh I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me.” I almost felt like I was unintentionally advocating for them to vote. Overall, I was excited to get back there on the scene and didn’t have any problems getting information.
Jena & Emily’s Super Tuesday:
We braved the rain and drove over to the church over on Broadhead. Armed with a camera and notebook, we stood outside of the polls waiting for the opportune moments. Luckily for us, the rain had subsided for the time we were on assignment. Most of the voters we encountered that day were older and several had children. The ones who had children rushed right past us, leaving us in a small dust cloud. The older folks were more willing to speak with us and one was lined up to give us some quotes. The first man we interviewed stated that he’d rather not tell us who he voted for, because he felt that it was a private thing. He also did not want to give us his name. But again, most people didn’t mind talking to us. In fact, we spoke to a couple who was very concerned about the health care of our country. They were from a town on Long Island adjacent to my (Emily’s) hometown. Two men were willing to pose for a picture and smiled for us, with the church in the background. All in all it was a successful day and all the people we spoke with voted for a Democrat. In a town as liberal as New Paltz, neither Jena nor I were surprised with the outcome.
Emily H:
After turning my car over four times, it finally decided to start in Tuesday's rainy and foggy weather. Once it started I headed to the high school for my interviews. It started slowly, I was a bit timid and there were mostly high school students hanging around the entrance. My first few interviews weren't the best. They were both old men who didn't seem to want to talk to me. Most people rushed past me, were talking on their cell phones or denied talking to me. I was a bit disappointed, but still managed to get some good interviews. I think the trick of it was keeping the questions flowing, because the more questions I asked the more talkative people became. I also got a lot of people who would make brief statements and didn't want to elaborate. Some people were very nice and willing to voice themselves. I was a bit unclear on how far I had to be from the polling place. At one point a man yelled at me for standing outside the entrance doors. The people who did talk voted for different candidates. I got votes for Clinton, Obama, McCain and Ron Paul. Overall I learned a lot and will feel more confident next time I'm out on the streets reporting.
Ryan:
Although downplayed a little by the Giants surprising upset in the Super Bowl, Super Tuesday was still a major occurrence, shaping America’s political future. Super Tuesday had an interesting start, with the downpour of rain leading to a dull mood for such a significant event. A big issue with Super Tuesday was people being turned away for not being registered to a particular party. Although not everyone was willing to comment on the election or their vote, there were enough people to gather quotes. Interestingly, a group gathered outside the Sub MPR and engaged in a debate, trying to persuade each other on why the other should vote for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. Most people I asked were not shy on revealing who they supported. I was a little surprised on the voter turn out, as I was expecting long lines throughout the Sub MPR.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment