Thursday, February 14, 2008
S.I. - The Forgetten Borough
The neighborhood I'm going to cover in Staten Island. As of now, my focus is pretty broad, and I'm still looking for a direction. There are many issues (i.e. the ferry, transportation, immigration) affecting Staten Is. as a whole, but there are also issues that are area-specific. Many people don't know that Staten Is. is a very diverse place, and becoming more so, so I think that each area can show something different. One thing I'm interested in is the changing face of the community. Growing up, I always had many friends who were born in the former Soviet Union (one of the island's largest immigrant groups). On the other hand, Staten Is. had previously had very homogeneous demographic: Italian and Irish Roman Catholics. The changing face of our community is very exciting, and I want to get out there and see how it has and is affecting all parts of borough life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment