Thursday, February 14, 2008

New Paltz, it's the Place We're Living...

In 2005 I came to New Paltz a scared lonely freshman like many first year students that go away to school. After embracing college life, finding a job, and a solid group of friends, I had found my niche here in New Paltz. My few years of living in New Paltz, on and off campus, have given me a good understanding about how this town operates, but only in respect to the college lifestyle and schedule. For most college students, waking up at two on the weekend is totally normal. Wearing pajama pants around town and campus, working in a pizza place, and using a fake I.D. to get into the bars are considered regular actions for college students as well, but what about the other part of New Paltz? This town cannot run on young minimum wage working college students, or can it?
New Paltz seems to function in some mysterious ways, but I hope to find the ways in which this town works to survive as a "college town".
As far as listening posts go, I hope to catch a few town meetings, but i think the Muddy Cup, as cliche as that sounds, might be of use as a listening post because a lot of town, not just university, events are held there. For example, a benefit meeting was just held there last week for a local resident battling cancer. Public school board meetings will also be a great listening post as it may provide a link to the more residential and community oriented aspects of this town. I hope to find a more solid listening post, maybe in a place I never expected to look, after digging through some local clubs and meetings.

No comments: