Sunday, February 24, 2008

Milagros' Salon.

For my listening post I chose one of the many beauty parlors in Inwood, Milagros' Salon. I chose this one because it is very close to Inwood's busiest street,Dyckman, so I figured I would get a good crowd. It was interesting to just sit there and observe the interactions and jot down the topics the customers were discussing. It was obvious that everyone was very comfortable here and had no problem talking about all sorts of personal issues. I wanted to talk to the owner of the salon, and some of the employees and get a better understanding of why they like this location. I was extremely hesitant to approach them because since I grew up in Inwood all these people pretty much know me. I didn't know if people were going to take me serious. I realized through this assignment that I am not all that comfortable interviewing people in Inwood for this same reason, I know so many people. I never thought I would prefer interviewing strangers:) Well finally I got enough confidence to speak to the owner and some of the other stylists. These interviews were very short but they gave me a better understanding of why they love working in this neighborhood. Once I explained what the questions were for they were all more than willing to answer them (some were even excited) and it made me feel A WHOLE LOT better. The reactions that I got from the people I interviewed have definitely made me more excited about talking to more people from the neighborhood (hoping that they all give the same reaction). There were not as many people at the beauty parlor as I had expected probably because it was was really early which I will keep in mind next time. After being there for a couple hours I felt comfortable and I was satsified with what I had observed so far. I think I chose a great listening post and I am looking forward to returning and hopefully getting a better crowd. :)

No comments: