At first I wasn't sure what area to pick as a listening post in Levittown. Those of you who live on Long Island are probably familiar with Hempstead Turnpike, and for those that don't its a main road that runs through Levittown and several other towns. The Pike had many options for listening posts; restaurants, clothing stores, shopping plazas, grocery stores, coffee shops. I decided to hang around a Stop N Shop on the corner of Hempstead Turnpike, i figured that hey.. everyone's gotta eat right? It seemed like a good spot to camp out at.
Being from Levittown I felt made it a little difficult for me to approach people at first. Like Vanessa said about Inwood, I don't know why it is but i feel so much better about going up to complete strangers. So this was a real test to get my courage up and ask some frank questions.
Most people were really reluctant to talk which kind of bummed me out. I think it may have been because of the weather though. It had snowed massive amounts the day before and it still was freezing. I feel that most people were just anxious to get in the stor, walk out with their goodies and go home. So this may have not been the best listening post, but i did get a few folks to talk to me about the happenings of Levittown.
It's funny that even though i've lived in Levittown all my life, ever since I came to college, there are so many new changes occurring in my town. By talking to the patrons of Stop N Shop, all of them residents of the town, I got great feedback on how the town is changing and what matters most to them.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment