Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Coney Island-My Neighborhood and its Changing Landscape

by Mitchell Epstein
Coney Island is the neighborhood that I have called "home" for my entire life. I grew up there and lived in the same apartment for almost 20 years. I know just about every street and corner of this diverse and extensive area. I am going to cover Coney Island as a beat because I want to explore some new changes that might take place, as well as some things that have stayed the same since I have been living there. Coney Island is currently experiencing a revitalization, as New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the City Council are focusing much of their attention on this area. They have proposed plans for an extensive development project that would draw people from all across the city and state to come visit Coney Island and put it on the map as a popular destination. The listening posts that I am considering for my beat are community board meetings, a shopping center, a boardwalk, and two parks in the neighborhood.

No comments: