Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Walkway Over the Hudson
For my final enterprise story, I focused on the walkway over the Hudson River that is going to be completed in 2009. Anyone who has driven over the Mid-Hudson Bridge has probably noticed the hideously dilapidated railroad bridge. Well, this bridge, which was built in 1888 and was the longest bridge at the time, is going to be turned into the longest pedestrian walkway/park. Since the City of Poughkeepsie is in need of a revitalization, especially as you travel east up Main Street (the waterfront area is actually doing very well, though they could use some boutiques or something), this walkway is anticipated to be a major economic stimulant. It will attract not just Hudson Valley residents but people from all over who want to walk, jog, bike ride, or hang out with friends and family. Rail trails will connect to the bridge on either side of the Hudson River, giving outdoor enthusiasts even more of an incentive to visit Poughkeepsie. I got interviews with two people on the board of directors of the Walkway over the Hudson organization, the group responsible for this whole construction happening. I also got an interview with the man who created Dooley Square, the cute shopping area on the waterfront, and he also owns Mahoney's Irish Pub. I interviewed the owner of Soul Dog, the delicious hot dog (and veggie dog) restaurant which is also by the waterfront. And finally, I got three interviews with Poughkeepsie residents, ages 23, 32, and 40, which I felt was a good age range. These interviews, along with the basic information about the bridge that was necessary to sprinkle throughout the article, really made for, in my humble opinion, a good article on something that really has the potential to change the city for the better. Reporting from Poughkeepsie has been really great, because what I thought was a typical, run down upstate NY city actually has a lot of potential, and a lot of great restaurants already, and now has this promising development.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment