Thursday, April 10, 2008
A race buffet....
I recall Anne Hull’s statement on how there is a bonding between interviewer and interviewee when there is a commonality; whether it’s by race, ethnicity, or just experiences. I couldn’t agree more. When I went to the Pelham neighborhood I found it much easier than I thought it would be when approaching people to discuss race. While I didn’t share some of the views of those mentioned, I felt an understanding of where they’re coming from because their neighborhood is similar to my neighborhood. I also think that while people are not completely comfortable discussing race, they want things to be different so they are willing to talk if that is what it takes. A reaction I got by many I approached was one of surprised and appreciation for being asked their opinions. Which leads me to believe that the voices of those in the communities are not being heard as much as those in business suits. One thing I really loved about doing this story is that I discovered so many great businesses I have passed by but never really paid attention to before. Such as a grocery store right off the corner of Pelham that embraces and promotes different cultures through the products that they sell. Some may see this as typical for a neighborhood in the city but I think we often overlook the fact that this coexistence of cultures is not found in many, perhaps even in most, of America.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment