Thursday, April 10, 2008
Poughkeepsie Residents Think Alike...[Race/Political Article]
This has been a difficult article to write, mainly because the people I interviewed (all nine of them) tended to have the same opinions on almost every question I asked. While what they said was interesting, it has been hard to organize their thoughts into a long, cohesive article without it getting repetitive. I decided to ask a bunch of questions so I wouldn't limit myself to just one topic, but that has actually proved problematic because finding a focus has been difficult. It's also annoying when, out in the field, it seems like I got really great interviews, and then when I come home and transcribe them, some are actually useless. As much as I'm glad I didn't come across any crazy, racist person, I feel like that was the quote or the source I was waiting for all day. I'm happy I got open minded people, but hearing the same thing over and over ("a lot of people are racist...I'M NOT SAYING I AM, but a lot are") is frustrating, as a journalist trying to write an intriguing article. As far as actual interviewing went, it was successful, with 9 out 10 people stopping to talk. A few also said the questions were 'very good,' which is nice to hear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment