Thursday, March 6, 2008

New Paltz Gardens for Nutrition...gardens for peace and quite!

For this assignment, I unintentionally gave myself that 'real live journalist rush' by sitting here typing up my story just minutes before class began. I was adding in my sources contact info as class began (sorry Professor). While procrastination has been a friend of mine, he was not in this case. I was getting quotes up until the last minute from members of the New Paltz Gardens for Nutrition, which is the topic of my landmark piece. The story could be boring to some I suppose, as it is a story about a garden, but I can tell you that doing the research was actually really fun. The gardens for Nutrition is relatively new compared to historical landmarks like Huguenot Street. The gardens stared in 1976 as a community garden that helped people without land or money grow plentiful amounts of veggies in a beautiful spot right near the Wallkill River. Looking through the archives at Elting Library was super fun (as corny as that sounds) because there were some really warm pictures of garden parties, potlucks, and families at the gardens back in the 70's and 80's. I meet with the current board members of the gardens as well. I though initially that I was just meeting up to interview the board president, but she decided to bring three other members from the board so i ended up with a jackpot for sources. Only Problem was, they are members now so, I really needed more history. And it's a good thing i did further research of the gardens history because the current board members were giving me incorrect dates! the experience was really cool over all. My only request would be for more time, but it wouldn't be a real story (or paper) if I didn't feel pressed from time. The garden by the way is awesome and I was welcomed by the board to come to their annual meeting in April. I plan to get a plot for the next season and I'm so excited about that! Everyone should go check out the gardens though...if not for gardening, do it for a peaceful walk! there are trails surrounding the gardens and some run right along the Wallkill....really awesome in the summer!!!

No comments: