Thursday, March 6, 2008
The Bronx Zoo
What I can I say about this assignment? Where to begin...where to begin. OK, so "hate" is such a strong word but it comes close to how I feel about this assignment. I have to say that I had several landmarks to chose from in the Pelham Parkway section in the Bronx but I really wanted to do an event story. As it turned out, all the events that sounded interesting in my neighborhood was scheduled after the assignment due date. So, I pretty much had to be less picky and decided on a landmark. I decided on the Bronx Zoo because its a major landmark not only in the Bronx but also nationally. So, I went out on a day that, thankfully, was agreeable weather-wise. I was very hesitant to even go in because it was a Monday and I didn't think I would get many people to talk. So, the Zoo wasn't as packed considering the day of the week but the weather got enough people out there. I was feeling self-conscious because people were looking at me like what is this girl doing in the zoo all alone?! A woman actually approached me and said, "Aren't you suppose to be in school?" She thought I was 15!(I guess when I'm 30 it will work in my favor). I got a lot of people telling me very vague and simple answers to my question, like "It's nice" or "It's beautiful." I wanted to scream and say, "Come on people! Don't be so simple minded!" I got more BS quotes than good ones and the ones that I decided to use were all over the place and I had to work on somehow incorporating them in to my story. After the first hour at the zoo, I actually stopped thinking about the assignment and started to take in my surroundings and enjoy myself. It had actually been years since I had been to the zoo and I sort of realized that when someone said that many people take places like the zoo for granted, I was one of those people. The zoo had never been a special place for me because I have been there almost a dozen times but its importance in the Bronx is almost crucial to the communities survival. I think many within the community don't realize that. Well, after several hours, countless pictures on my phone, and a mixture of mediocre and decent quotes, I decided to head on home. But not before enjoying the polar bears one last time. I am a sucker for them. afterwards, I treated my self to a pedicure after walking for several hours since I was left very dissatisfied with what I had to work with. I tried to make the best of it but I didn't enjoy myself on this assignment and was thankful when it was over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment