Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Saugerties

This will probably be the hardest assignment I will do for this class this year. This is because I am not a heavily descriptive writer and was at a loss on what to write about. My listening post in Saugerties was main street and partition street. I walked up and down observing whatever I could. The town was dead. It was a Sunday Afternoon and most of the stores were closing by the time I got there (I got very lost in Kingston on the way). I was too nervous to confront most people on the street. It was hard to write this article because it was not a concrete place or event. Saugerties is an odd place. It has charm but was dead at the same time. It's old and hip. It's all these different things that don't quite make sense till you go there and look around, and I have had much trouble putting this into writing because I don't think I'm sure what it is about Saugerties that makes it this way. The one person I talked to was Scott from North River Antiques who gave me the store's number and not his when I asked. He was very laid back and told me how this is a very laid back town compared to New Paltz and is in its off season. Tourists don't come till the summer. So overall when not much is happening it's hard for me to write about it so I tried to keep it as active as possible, but I don't think my article does the town justice. I however look forward to next article because I am friends with Tad Richards who is a professor at New Paltz and caretaker of Opus 40 a giant sculpture in Saugerties. Also this friday I plan to attend a Leap Year Celebration in Saugerties with the band The Rhodes who I am friends with.

No comments: