Originally, I thought the Food Court in the Poughkeepsie Galleria would be a good listening post, but I immediately realized it wasn't the place to be. I could hardly overhear conversations, and it was filled with standoffish middle schoolers. I decided to change my location to the HoeBowl, a bowling alley that is right off Main Street in downtown Poughkeepsie. The HoeBowl was chock full of interesting characters of all ages. I overheard some very interesting conversations, spoke to a family bowling in the lane next to mine, and interviewed the very busy yet helpful manager. It was very crowded and I think the clientele gave me a pretty good idea of what the people of Poughkeepsie are like, and what they think of their home. I think it could have went better, and I think the location did have a lot to do with it. Places like a galleria and bowling alley are not the ideal places to sit down and really get to know people (obviously, they're on the go). I am also not completely comfortable interviewing people, so I was especially intimidated by the fact that they were with their friends, drinking, and REALLY into their bowling.
Dana Sagona
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment