Thursday, February 14, 2008

In the center of it all lays Pelham

Deciding on a neighborhood to cover is a challenge in itself. I knew from the get go that I wanted to work in a neighborhood in NYC. As someone who is from New York City I feel that working in an environment that is somewhat recognizable will work to my benefit this time around. I understand, however, that as someone who is aspiring to be a journalist, I won’t always be in a familiar setting. I also decided on this area because while it may be far from New Paltz and it will affect me financially since I will be traveling, I think in the end it will pay off. Having said that, I decided on doing my beat reporting on the Pelham Parkway section of the Bronx. This is not where I live in NYC, but I am familiar with the area. This neighborhood is also in the middle of the borough and has many interactions because of it. I was conflicted with two areas in the Bronx but I decided to go with Pelham because it is an area filled with many local businesses and homes. Also just last week there was a major fire that burned down about 12 businesses and I’m interested to know how that has affected this rich and very diverse environment. While I am still somewhat nervous on what awaits me, I am also eager to get out there and explore.

No comments: